When Oya (the current goddess of the month at the Soul Path Tribe) looked into the mortar of Chango, she saw nothing. However, when she drank the clear liquid her world changed. What began as a burning from within became a raging fire that had to be set free. In fact, the need was so great that flames erupted from her hands before she even considered the possibility that she could control the raw power.
As Oya discovered, fire is intense and without restraint, it’s pure destruction.
This is something all magick practitioners should note and respect. Regardless of how you use it in your magickal works, take extreme safety precautions when you choose to work with fire. Always make sure there are restraints in place.
In your magickal walks, there will be times when you feel as if you are burning from the inside. These times occur when the goddess has filled you with a message she wishes you to express. Sometimes, especially if you’re prophetic by nature, you’ll immediately know what the message is. Frequently, however, the goddess tests your loyalty and resolve by giving you her message in a way that defies your logic and intellect. When she does this, she fully expects you to come to her for the interpretation.
When you connect with the goddess to understand her message, you’re divining.
Humans have been performing divination from the beginning of time, so believe me when I say that the ways of divining are uncountable.
Since Oya is the goddess of the month and fire was her first known power, I decided to explain how to do pyromancy (divination by fire):
- Start a contained fire in a quiet location. Depending on your environment, this could be a candle or a campfire.
- Sit at a safe distance and gaze into the flames, as you allow yourself to relax fully.
- To interpret the message of the goddess be aware of the following:
- The colour of the flames
- The direction the flames head
- Images you may see in the flame
- Images you may see in the smoke
- Voices or sounds you may hear within the whispering and hissing of the flames
- Images, voices or sounds you may see or hear in your head
- The appearance and sounds of nature in your environment
- Now intuitively piece together all the information you gathered and you’ll know the message.
Do you use pyromancy? I’d love to hear any tips you’d like to share or experiences you’ve had – just leave a comment below!