The orisha Oya (the goddess of the month over at the Soul Path Tribe) is the guardian of the cemetery gates. Because the other six major orishas refused to have anything to do with the dead, Oya became the gatekeeper of cemeteries by default. Her responsibilities in this unique position are:
- Escorting the dead to the gates of the graveyard.
- Ensuring the dead stay happily within their domain, unless the living properly summon them.
- Keeping living visitors to the cemeteries safe.
Her fee for these services is nine copper coins each time you visit a cemetery. Since cemeteries are the main sources of one of the most potent of magick powders (graveyard dust) her fee is more than reasonable.
Graveyard dust is the dirt that covers and surrounds a grave. Its power comes from the energy of the body that is or was buried there. Therefore, when you choose to use it as a component, make sure you know something about the person whose environment you’re going to use. Additionally, never collect dust from a grave without the deceased’s permission. In asking the deceased to use some of the dirt near her grave, you are requesting her blessing and intention in your magickal work.
Working with graveyard dust is one way of working with our ancestors in order to accomplish something great. It is a rewarding practice because it allows you to become one with the past and future as well as to honour those who have released their mortal coils.
Why graveyard dust is such an excellent magickal component
You can use graveyard dust by itself or in conjunction with other magickal components to accomplish anything you can name, and the best part is that you only need a couple of teaspoons to complete any magickal action.
Another reason graveyard dust is excellent is that it is easy to find, gather and transport.
Gathering graveyard dust
To create magick with your ancestors, simply grab a teaspoon, gifts appropriate for the type of spirit you’ll request help from, several small zip lock bags and nine copper coins. Once you have these items head for a cemetery and follow these simple instructions:
- Once at the cemetery entrance, find a discreet place to request entrance from Oya. If she allows you in, leave her the nine copper coins and thank her.
- Find a grave in which the deceased embodied the type of power you’re seeking to add to your magickal endeavour. For example, if you intend to perform a magickal rite for protection, you might choose to seek the grave of a soldier.
- Sit by the grave you selected and explain to its occupant why you want to take some of her power.
- If she agrees, thank her and lay down a gift she would like. If she were a soldier, you might leave a medal or a flag representing her homeland. After laying out the gift, use your teaspoon to put some graveyard dust into your zip lock bag However, if she refuses, respectfully thank her for her consideration and move on.
- Once you’re through collecting the graveyard dust you need, stop just before the entrance gate and thank Oya for keeping you safe. Then walk out of the cemetery without looking back.
Don’t forget that working with spirits demands careful consideration and respect at all time.
Have you seen the Oya altar creativity that’s been going recently? Check out the photos!